What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

An Energy Performance Certificate, or EPC, is a guide for potential buyers and tenants when viewing a property that tells them how efficient said property is. It comes with an outline of the cost of heating the home and recommendations on how to improve the energy efficiency of the property. The survey should be carried out by an accredited domestic energy assessor. Cardwells can offer these services, however it’s important to realise you are able to shop around and compare prices.

An Energy Performance Certificate is required every time a property is put up for sale or to rent or let out. If you ask your potential landlord or property owner, they have to be able to produce one for you to see. The EPC report includes energy efficiency rating, which uses a grading scheme with A being the most efficient through to G being the least efficient. Also, estimated costs of running the property will give an indication of heat and power usage. Finally, the report provides a summary of energy performance related features. This is useful if you want to undertake work to improve a home’s efficiency.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is:

  • Built
  • Sold
  • Rented

If you don’t get an EPC when you need one, you can be fined.

There is a small selection of buildings which do not need an EPC, but chances are you will need one. These include places of worship and holiday accommodation, but you should carry out thorough checks before deciding whether you need one or not.

We can provide the Energy Performance Certificates in plenty of time so you are not at risk of falling foul of the legislation. At the same time floor plans (2D or 3D) can be drawn up at a small additional charge.

Cardwells Estate Agents has offices in Bolton and Bury, with our areas of renting and letting properties covering much of Lancashire. We have property for rent or let around the North West, including Manchester. We will be more than happy to help you with any aspect of the marketing experience, whether it’s simply just a bit of advice or you would like to go ahead with an EPC. Call one of our branches (we also cover Walkden and Worsley) or pay us a visit to see exactly what we can do for you.